Friday 3 August 2012

Watermelon Sugar Cookies





Watermelon sugar cookies? That was Mr. D’s question when he saw me baking up these sweet treats last weekend.

I quickly explained that there are plenty of excuses to make sugar cookies in the Fall (Halloween & Thanksgiving), Winter (Christmas andValentine’s Day), and Spring (Easter), and that a reason to bake up a batch of these yummy treats in the summer was long over-due!

These cookies make the perfect dessert for a summer BBQ or picnic! They stand up well to the heat, they don’t require any prep before serving, and can be easily transport in Tupperware!

If you want to create these cute and yummy cookies yourself here are the steps I followed.

  1. Make a batch of your favourite sugar cookie dough
  2. Roll out your dough and cut out circles using a circle cookie cutter.
  3. Slice your cut out circles in half  to create a half moon shape – I used a pizza cutter to make my cuts.
  4. Bake your cookies and cool them on a wire rack.
  5. While your cookies are cooling whip up some icing – I used a recipe I found online and let me tell you it definitely lives up to the reviews!
  6. Colour your icing with food colouring.
  7. Fill some pastry bags with your coloured icing
  8. Decorate your cookies with the icing! I used piping and flooding techniques to create the watermelon effect on my cookies.If you need a tutorial you can find a bunch of really great ones on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment