Sunday 19 August 2012

Sweet Treat Sunday: Oreo Surprise Cupcakes



I made these cupcakes to bring to a potluck dinner at my brother and sister-in-law's place this weekend and they were a huge hit! To create these sweet treats I used two recipes from a pair of cookbooks my mom gave me when I got married.

The inspiration for these cupcakes came from my Philadelphia Best Loved Recipes cookbook, I just swapped out the recipe for the chocolate cake with one from my Bride & Groom: First and Forever Cookbook.

If you want to make these yourself, I've listed the recipes below.


Mini OREO Surprise Cupcakes
Philadelphia Best Loved Recipes Cookbook

Ingredients
1 pkg chocolate cake mix (I used the recipe below instead)
1 pkg (8.oz) of Philadelphia cream cheese, softened
1 egg
2 tbsp. sugar
1 package of mini OREO bite size chocolate sandwich cookies
1 1/2 cups thawed Cool Whip whipped topping (I used Cool Whip in a can)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the cake batter and set aside. Mix together the cream cheese, egg and sugar.

2. Spoon the cake batter into lined cupcake pans, filling each liner only half way. Next top each with a heaping teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture and 1 cookie, then cover evenly with remaining cake batter.

3. Bake the cupcakes for 18 -22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pans for 5 minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to finish cooling. Once cooled top each cupcake with the whipped topping and another cookie.

Shhh Don't Tell - Chocolate Fudge Birthday Cake
Bride & Groom First and Forever Cookbook

Ingredients
1 box devil's food cake mix
1 cup water
3 eggs
1/3 cup corn oil
1/3 cup sour cream (I used yogurt instead)
2 tsps vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions

Combine cake mix and all ingredients except the chocolate chips in a bowl using an electric mixer. Beat on low speed until combined and the mixture is smooth. Transfer the mix to the pan of your choice and bake at 350 degrees for 18 -25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment